Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Help from another researcher

At this point I was looking for Orlando Carothers and Mary Elliot. Another Google search led me to an entry on CousinConnect.com. Click here to see the actual entry. The query text is:
Looking for information about Mary V (Elliott) Carothers and her husband Orlando O Carothers. Orlando was born in Illinios. Mary was born in Missouri. Both died in Stanislaus California. They had 5 children. Mary Elliott was the sister of my gg grandfather George W. Elliott.
A message to the query poster put me in touch with John Brach. And John has been a great help in finding information on Orlando and his family!

John had found Orlando and Mary in Modesto, CA, of all places! This was quite a surprise to me. He has searched for them in the California Death Index. Free, online, genealogical databases can be a great help! This database lists lots of info, including the place and date of death. And that is how I became interested in Modesto, CA.

With this information I requested, and received, Orlando and Mary's death certificates from the Stanislaus County Recorder's office. Click here to get an application for death certificates.

By the way, I mentioned on an earlier post that I couldn't locate Orlando and Mary in the 1930 US Census. John had found Orlando and Mary in the 1930 US Census in Montevallo, Vernon County, Missouri. When I searched for them in Vernon County, I had missed them! I was in too much of a rush. Sigh.

As a note, I search US Census records online.

No comments: