Thursday, May 21, 2020

More information on Thornton Carothers

Thornton Carothers is the older brother of Clark Carothers.  Occasionally I see if I can turn up anything new about Thornton.  The 1860 reference to him is the last I know about him, see my blog entry Thornton Carothers in California in 1860.

In the 1860 US Census Thornton was a farm laborer on the farm of Henry Reed.  I found the following newspaper reference to Henry in 1867.


"Marysville Daily Appeal, Volume XVI, Number 79, 2 October 1867"

This likely narrows down exactly where Thornton was in 1860, "Reed's Ranch" in Dry Creek, West Bear River Township, Yuba County, California.  G.E. Chittenden is listed in the 1860 US Census along with Henry Reed and Thornton and quite a few other farm laborers.



"Marysville Daily Appeal, Volume XVI, Number 52, 31 August 1867"


No comments: