Saturday, April 08, 2006

Grandpa Gerry on the Racetrack!

Below is one photo from Aunt Lana's collection that I found quite interesting. I don't know where or what year this photo was taken, but Gerry's cousin Gordon Herring, and his nephew, Bob Herring, spent many years on the racetrack. This is the first I've learned of Grandpa Gerry being on a racetrack. I'd love to know the backstory on his being on the racetrack. In any case, it's a fun photo!


















Update July 3, 2006: This picture must have been taken sometime in the 1940s, likely in Prescott, AZ. My dad remembers Gerald racing. Gerald's wife Mabel mentioned that she was always concerned when Pops was racing in Prescott. I would like to know how Gerald got involved in racing as his cousin Gordon Herring was into racing big time, and died in a racing accident. Also, Gordon's son Bob also was into racing as well. There must be something in the Herring blood as several of Gerald's descendants also lean toward speed and racing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool photo! Seems like Grandpa Carothers was into alot of interesting things... and I now know where my brother Donald got his distinguishing good looks. (-;