Saturday, May 06, 2006

Memories of Aunt Crete from a great niece

In my quest to learn more about Lucretia Carothers, who was married to William Henry Carothers, I decided to try and locate descendants of Lucretia's sister, Ella Tewksbury. Ella lived in the same area and was mentioned in Lucretia's obituary. If you review my last post, you will notice I was zeroing in on Martha Jane Stewart, Ella's granddaughter.

Imagine my surprise when, out of the blue, I got an email from Martha just 4 days after my post! That is the power of the internet for you. It brings people with common interests together, regardless of the distance.

With Martha's permission, I'm posting her email as she shares some of her memories of Aunt Crete:

I stumbled on to your web site as I was looking for my Yount family. I am Martha Jane Nelson Stewart, daughter of Vivian and Hugh Nelson and granddaughter of Ella Yount Tewksbury and great niece of Lucretia Carothers. "Aunt Crete" was a sister to Ella.

Aunt Crete was a very colorful lady and I thought the world of her. She never had any children so her nieces and nephews were very special to her. She died in Prescott, Arizona and I have her death date somewhere in my papers. I will look it up for you but I am very unorganized these days and it will take me a while. Please feel free to ask questions about her and if I can answer I will surely do so. I never met Mr. Carothers. I lived in Crown King, Arizona, an isolated mining town about sixty miles from Prescott and it was not often that my family went to Prescott. I seem to remember going by Aunt Crete's apartment one time and Mr. Carothers was there but he was ill in the bedroom and I did not see him. This is a memory from childhood and may not be true.

No comments: