Saturday, May 06, 2006

More memories of Aunt Crete from a great niece

Here are some more memories of Aunt Crete from her great niece, Martha:


Aunt Crete had a little cabin in Crown King where she spent the summers. In winter she would go down the mountain to lower and warmer climates. She had a pension of some kind but she did not have many worldly possessions When I was small I would visit her at her cabin and we would have tea parties served along with my mud pies. She was very good with children. The last time that I saw her she was living in Congress Junction, AZ. Don and I can't remember the year.

She was an avid baseball fan and listened to the world series with out fail and knew ever player in the leagues and their family histories. She had a radio that she kept by her bedside in her little cabin and it played night and day. She was very knowledgeable about current affairs, especially politics.

All her Redwine siblings that I knew were tall people except Grandma Ella who was rather petite. Aunt Crete was tall as well. She had a little dog named Minnie Mouse that was very dear to her and any time you saw her little Minnie Mouse was close by.

About Charley Yount. I don't know a lot about him and I am having a hard time tracing my Younts. Grandma did divorce him and from what I understand he liked the ladies and was not true to her. He did have the second marriage and another daughter. I think her name was Lena. A lot needs to be done on my Yount research. Grandma married Walter Tewksbury, whom she met while visiting Vivian in Crown King. He was the only grandfather that I knew. I called him Uncle Tewks.

I have a brother, Charles Anthony Nelson, who still lives in Crown King in the house we grew up in. He was named after Charley Yount and I have a son named Charles. Even though Charley Yount was far removed from his family during their growing up years his name has been carried down through the generations.

Aunt Crete was named after president James Garfield's wife, Lucretia Randolph Garfield.


Martha also sent me my first picture of her grandmother, Ella Tewksbury, and Aunt Crete.
















Here is what Martha says about the picture:

This precious picture is of Grandma and Aunt Crete.....Aunt Crete being the taller one holding her hat. It was taken in front of Jean Yount Burges Ward's house in Prescott. Jean was Ella's youngest daughter.

Thanks Martha!

1 comment:

Granny J said...

Interesting, your mention of a Yount. As I recall, when my late husband and I lived in Wilhoit (down the White Spar --SR 89) from Prescott, there was a Yount family that moved in.
Time was about 1983.

Granny J