Thursday, June 23, 2005

Sharlot Hall Museum - Prescott, AZ

I may have a chance of going through Prescott, AZ this summer, so I thought I'd looking for genealogically interesting places to visit. I came across the Sharlot Hall Museum in Prescott.

It looks like a top notch museum with a lot of historical and genealogical information. The website is quite nice and helpful. I was able to discover they have a 1946 picture of Wade Carothers as a child, and another of G. M. Carothers, United States Navy, 1940s. These are very likely my Uncle Wade and his father.

They also have a Yavapai County Cemetery Database in which I found my great-grandfather William Henry Carothers, along with the cemetery he is buried in. And I found his second wife Lucretia. The following is the information I retrieved from the database for William and Lucretia.

William Henry Carothers
Born: Clinton, Henry, Missouri 17 Apr 1881
Died: Prescott, Yavapai, Arizona 17 Jan 1944
Buried:Mountain View cemetery. Plot: L-D025 Marker: no
Spouse: Lucretia R. Carothers
Parents: Clark & Rachel (Lowery) Carothers
Occupation: stone mason
Remarks: resided Az. 10 years; d. Prescott Community Hospital: COD: heart
disease; Mt. View Cemetery records; C. E. Hunter Funeral Home; Az. Death Certificate


Lucretia R. Carothers
Born: Tennessee 09 Oct 1881
Died: Prescott, Yavapai, Arizona 03 Dec 1969
Buried:Mountain View cemetery. Plot: F-C118 Marker: no
Spouse: William Henry Carothers
Parents: Unknown
Occupation: Unknown
Remarks: Mt. View Cemetery records; Chapel of the Garden Funeral Home

From this information I've learned that William and Lucretia were buried in the Mt. View Cemetery. I didn't know that Lucretia was buried in Prescott. I got her birth date and birth state, but no maiden name, and nothing about her parents.

What disappoints me most is they apparently have no markers. The database did supply a plot location for both of them. If they had markers, I could use ArizonaGravestones.org to get a copy of the markers.

I have to say I'm quite impressed with the museum and the obviously dedicated staff. They are doing a great job preserving their history!

I googled for the "Northern Arizona Genealogy Society", but came up empty. Not online yet!

In any case, no trip to Prescott will be complete for me without a long stop at the Sharlott Hall Museum.

No comments: