Monday, June 27, 2005

Who is Lucretia R. Carothers?

Who is Lucretia R. Carothers? From an earlier post, you can see about all the information I know about her, except what memories my father has shared with me about her. I don't even know her maiden name. Hmmm... come to think of it, I never asked my Dad if he knew it. I'll have to start asking around.

Anyway, in doing an initial search for information about her on the internet, I did come across an interesting fact. Lucretia R. Garfield was the name of the First Lady of the US in 1881. Her husband was assassinated, dying on September 19, 1881. Just a few weeks before Lucretia R. Carothers was born.

After an assassin shot James on July 2nd, Lucretia returned to the White House. She nursed him and made decisions, showing a remarkable calm and courage that won her widespread admiration. The President was moved to Elberon in an attempt to make him more comfortable and to help his recovery. The move was fruitless. James A. Garfield died September 19, 1881 with his wife, Lucretia, and daughter, Mollie, at his side. Lucretia took over the funeral and burial arrangements. Garfield was buried at Lakeview Cemetery in Cleveland.

A coincidence? I think not. I'm guessing Lucretia R. Carothers was named after President Garfield's wife.

3 comments:

Don said...

It looks like the R in Lucretia R. Carothers stands for Redwine, Lucretia's maiden name. That's just another guess.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure anyone will see this but if you don't know already Lucretia was a Redwine by birth. She was my great aunt "Crete." She was named after Garfield's wife, as her father, James Haskell Redwine was postmaster at Rankin,TN. and often attended the Republican convention and I believe met Lucretia Garfield in a receiving line. There were two brothers and my grandfather, Frederick Gladstone Redwine, was one. I think the other was Thomas, though I'm not sure. The family did not move out west all that early in life and I don't think James Haskel ever even visted out west. The family mostly moved out west in the 1920s or so as my great uncle had been gassed in WWI and it was hoped the desert air would help. Also two of the several sisters, I don't know all their names except Mrs. Moser who was known as "Gypsy" or "Aunt Gyp", left Tennessee to escape worthless husbands. My Aunt Francella poston has done a good bit of research on the family and I could put anyone interested in contact with her.

Don said...

I'm glad to hear from you Charles, and I'd love to get in contact with you to learn more about Aunt Crete! Please email me! Don