Monday, May 23, 2005

Fort Scott, Kansas

My chat with my Dad this last weekend has stirred my interest in tracking down more information on William Henry Carothers, his first wife, Myrtle Elizabeth Herring, and their son, and my grandfather, Gerald Carothers.

Today, I was Googling around and came across a number of Fort Scott, Kansas websites that should be of help in that regard. The most promising is the "Old Fort Genealogical Society of Southeastern Kansas, Inc." They have collections of local Fort Scott records. I'd love to spend a week there! As time and budget are limited, I'll settle for becoming a member, and see what it will cost for local researchers to get the information for me.

I did locate the Oak Grove Cemetery Myrtle is buried in. I even found an aerial photo of the Cemetery from Terraserver. Click here to see it.

The official Fort Scott City Government website is here.

The official Bourbon County Government website is here.

The Kansas Office of Vital Statistics website is here.

No comments: