Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Old Fort Genealogical Society of Southeastern Kansas, Inc.

I had a nice chat with Virginia of the Old Fort Genealogical Society of Southeastern Kansas, Inc. I was able to confirm the information on the webpage. Membership is $15 for one year. A new issue of the "Old Fort Log" has just be published, and I will get a copy of it. They also sell a copy of the "Oak Grove Cemetery" book. This is the cemetery my great-grandmother Myrtle Elizabeth Carothers (Herring) is buried in.

My grandfather, Gerald Carothers, was born in Fort Scott, so I'm interested in any records they might have on him and his parents. They lived there for something like 15 or 20 years. The OFGS library has a large collection of local records of historical and genealogical value. I'm quite impressed with the records they have collected, and I'm guessing they will be able to find a great deal of information about William, Myrtle and Gerald.

Virginia said they will do research essentially for free, the only cost is for the copies. I'll be sure to make a good donation.

No comments: