Thursday, May 26, 2005

I'm a new member of OFGS!

I sent a letter to the Old Fort Genealogical Society of Southeastern Kansas, Inc. yesterday. I paid for an annual membership and for a copy of their "Oak Grove Cemetery" book. I also requested that they look up information on William Henry Carothers and his family in their record collection. I provided copies of all the information I have on them.

I'm hoping for school records, newspaper articles, church records, directory listings, birth, hospital, mortuary and cemetery records and the like. Perhaps some school pictures with Gerald in them. Who knows? William apparently owned a grocery store, so there could be some information about that. My father also recalls that William went overseas during WWI.

If there is not a copy of Myrtle's tombstone in the "Oak Grove Cemetery" book, I will request a picture of it. I'd really like to go to Fort Scott someday.

They've been having a lot of fires in Fort Scott recently. Four residential fires that are apparently arson related, and a terrible fire downtown that is apparently not arson. An AP story about the big downtown fire is available at firehouse.com. There are some very good pictures of the damage downtown posted at swanno.org. It is really quite sad.

No comments: