Saturday, May 21, 2005

A Visit with my Parents

Today we drove to my parents' home for a visit. Time for the grandparents and grandkids to get together again! While I was there, my Dad and I started talking about his memories of his father, Gerald, and my Dad's grandfather, William Henry.

My Dad remembers W.H. was a tall man, and smoked a pipe. W.H. remarried after his first wife passed away. They were probably married in Kansas. My Dad has memories of Lucretia babysitting he and his brother. William Henry died when my Dad was 6 years old. Dad remembers that she moved back to Kansas when his family moved to Utah. He wasn't sure about Kansas, but he thinks that's right. Dad also remembers that William Henry was in the military during WWI in France.

Dad mentioned that his father had been in the Naval Reserves prior to WWII and was a police officer. When the war started, he was activated and spent the war in Hawaii as a mechanic for the Navy. At the end of the war he was a Motor Machinists Mate, 1st class, an E-6. Upon returning home after the war, he became a police officer once again. Then he took up trucking, working for Yellow Freight, Watkins and Watson. And probably others.

As you can see, I've got a lot of information to track down!

No comments: