Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Hunting in the 1920 US Census

A year ago, I bought a subscription to access the online US Census records at Genealogy.com. I have made good use of it. It is extremely convenient and efficient for looking up information in US Census records. It is a bit pricey, but what to do? Many public libraries provide free remote access to HeritageQuestOnline.com for library card holders. HeritageQuestOnline provides online access to US Census records. Alas, my local and county libraries do not provide access to HeritageQuestOnline.

Tonight I've been looking for William Henry Carothers, his wife, Myrtle and their son, Gerald in the 1920 US Census, Kansas, Bourbon County, Fort Scott. William and Myrtle appear in Clinton, Henry County, Missouri in the 1910 census. In 1930, William and Gerald appear in Fort Scott. I have not yet discovered their whereabouts in the 1920 census. They could have been in Clinton, or somewhere else altogether, sigh...

I was looking on a map today and noticed that Fort Scott is only about 19 miles from Nevada, Missouri. Orlando and his family lived in Nevada at the time William lived in Fort Scott with his family.

No comments: