Sunday, January 12, 2020

My Carothers Line

Time to work on the Carothers line again.  I am at a brick wall with William Carothers, born in 1785 in North Carolina.  My wonderful sister is pursuing using DNA in her genealogy research.  I am quite interested in this subject, but knew nothing about it.

So I went to the Orange County Family History Expo last year and the keynote speaker was Colleen Fitzpatrick, PhD on the subject "The Forensic Genealogy Revolution"!

The following is the Doctor's bio from the expo flyer:

"Colleen Fitzpatrick; PhD, the founder of Identifinders International, is widely recognized as the founder of modern Forensic Genealogy. Most notably, she is credited with solving the first cold case using Forensic Genealogy – the 1992-1993 Phoenix Canal murders. Dr. Fitzpatrick is also Co-Executive Director of the DNA Doe Project (DDP), a nonprofit corporation whose mission is to use genetic genealogy to identify John and Jane Does and return them to their families. She is the author of three books, and has lectured widely in the US, Canada, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. She has appeared in hundreds of domestic and international newspapers and magazines, and on international radio and television programs.”"

Colleen could have spoken for hours and hours.  Her speech was very interesting and informative!

I had already taking a autosomal DNA test and was busy learning how it might help me with looking for my Carothers connections.  And when the end of the year DNA sales started, I took a Y-DNA test.  The company has a Carruthers project which I joined and there are numerous matches.  I am working on contacting matching individuals.  I also joined an associated society, the Clan Carruthers Society International (CCSI).  They provide genealogical research assistance for the Carruthers (Carothers) lines.

Clan Carruthers Society International

Of course, this research will mostly involve tracking down source records to prove my family line.

2020 is looking good to break down my William Carothers brick wall.  Wish me luck!

No comments: