Thursday, May 05, 2005

Relatives in California

I'm busy working on my catalog of source documentation for the Carothers research I'm currently engaged in. While doing so, I have been reexamining the documents. One such document has a sentence which has become more meaningful. This document is an article from the Russell Record, of Russell Kansas, given to me by another descendant of Clark and Rachel Carothers. Her name is Shirley Farrell. The article is about a coroner's jury being called for the suspicious death of George Caruthers. The last sentence of the article is as follows:
"Officials have determined that he has a brother in Topeka as well as several nephews, also there are relatives in California."

The relatives in California are likely Orlando and Mary Carothers, and their family. When I first obtained this article from Shirley, I had no idea who the "relatives in California" were.

A second, later, article, from Shirley, regarding George's death, lists Orlando Carothers, of Nevada, Missouri as a survivor. The article is dated May 15, 1947! Orlando's 1964 death certificate lists him as having lived in Stanislaus County, California, for 24 years. Now there's an interesting conflict. Orlando's death certificate places him in California from about 1940 onward, yet this newspaper article places him in Missouri in 1947. Hmmm....

No comments: